The Principal Institute will focus on the essential role of questions in every aspect of leading and learning. Seminars will focus on three areas: the Human Side of Change, Next-Generation Systems, and Instruction by Design.
Explore the role of questions in the Human Side of Change, Next-Generation Systems, and Instruction by Design, focused on the following outcomes for principals and site leaders:
- Strategically use questions, positive messaging, and time-management strategies.
- Build collaborative teams and apply distributed-leadership strategies.
- Understand the instructional shifts implied with implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
- Motivate and support teachers to change instructional practices to align with the Common Core State Standards.
- Apply design thinking to support teachers to increase rigor and student engagement to prepare students for college and/or career.
1. Human Side of Change
Focus: Culture and Capacity Building
• The Power of Questions in Culture and Capacity Building • Clarity: Positive Messaging
• Time Management: Make Time for What Matters Most
Essential Question: What is the role of the 21st-century site leader in promoting a change culture and building capacity?
2. Next-Generation Systems
Focus: Distributed Leadership
• The Power of Questions in Distributed Leadership • Multiplier Effect
• Instructional Leadership Teams (ILTs)
• Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
Essential Question: How might distributed leadership support changes in the culture and capacity of teachers and site leaders?
3. Instruction By Design
Focus: The Power of Questions in Teaching and Learning • Deeper Dive into Common Core
• Growth Mindset (Dweck)
Essential Question: What is the principal’s role in supporting implementation of Common Core?
4. Next-Generation Systems
Focus: Design Challenge: Increase Rigor!
• Change Is Good!
• Monitoring the Change
• Leading with the Why
• Design Your Plan!
Essential Question: What is the role of design thinking in leading change?