About the Position
At Pivot and CORE, we look for talented and inspiring colleagues who believe in public education and the imperative to support schools to innovate and improve. We are currently seeking Education Services Consultants to work with our Curriculum Implementation team to lead and deliver school site-based services in Guilford County Schools, NC and Monterey Peninsula Unified School District, CA.
This effort is part of a larger nation-wide curriculum implementation project funded by the Gates Foundation to design and deliver a three-year implementation plan centered on equitable instruction for high quality, middle school math materials. This position will be responsible for supporting districts in the implementation of instructional materials/curriculum and accompanying professional learning.
Specifically, Pivot and CORE will provide system-wide project management that includes communications and evaluation planning. We will provide site support services that include: (1) Training educators on both pedagogy and content aligned to the district’s chosen instructional materials; and (2) Ongoing, in-school planning, implementation observations and debriefs with instructional leaders, instructional support for coaches and teachers, and cycles of data collection and study for educators to adjust and move forward.
This is a part-time, remote opportunity. Starting August 2021, you must also be able to travel regularly to district and school sites in Guilford County Schools, NC -OR- Monterey Peninsula Unified School District, CA for this project, with the potential for this work to expand to other districts over time.
The time commitment for this work involves preparation, debrief, and delivery of professional learning days:
- Guilford County: Approximately 25 in-person professional learning days and 30 hours of virtual professional learning sessions. We expect there will be a similar number of days for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Monterey Peninsula: Approximately 20 in-person professional learning day, plus possible additional days of coaching services TBD. We expect there will also be 20 professional learning days in the 2022-2023 school year.
Key Responsibilities: Direct Delivery
District-Wide Pedagogy and Content Training:
- Conduct day-long pedagogy and content trainings of site staff, using Pivot/CORE provided training materials (virtual or in-person), manage a positive learning experience for participating teachers, coaches, and site leaders, and build deep knowledge of the district-adopted instructional materials in order to serve as an expert to the school site staff.
Site-Level Service Delivery:
- Lead site-based services to ensure effective instruction and implementation of materials, and to continue to build site staff pedagogical knowledge and knowledge of specific instructional materials.
- Schedule services (e.g. walkthroughs, program planning, instructional rounds or lesson studies, side-by-side coaching) with staff at assigned sites. Ensure scheduling aligns to district continuous improvement cycles and aligns appropriately with school and participant schedules.
- Prepare for, facilitate, and follow‐up from professional learning events, small group, and 1:1 work sessions with clients and partners (virtual or in‐person).
- Deliver all components using Pivot/CORE provided protocols and templates.
Data and Continuous Improvement:
- Support schools to set data-driven goals and action plans for each school year that are aligned to evidenced-based practices.
- Collect, manage, and analyze data through the set cycles of continuous improvement with each site. After each continuous improvement cycle, make recommendations for adjustments to site implementation, training and support, instructional practice, etc.
- After each training and/or site engagement, collect, organize and send feedback and/or assessment data electronically to Pivot/CORE. This includes writing and electronically sending periodic comprehensive reports aligned to Pivot/CORE standards.
- Collaborate with Pivot/CORE leadership to make adjustments and improvements to the services after engagements and each cycle.
- Collaborate with Pivot Program Manager and Partner Organizations (UnboundEd, OpenUp Math, and Curriculum Associates) to develop and inform district and school level professional learning and measurement and evaluation plans.
Key Responsibilities: General Responsibilities
- Participate in all required Pivot/CORE training, regular one-on-one check-ins, and team meetings. Participate in required equity training through our partners, UnboundEd and NIRN.
- Act as an ambassador for Pivot/CORE and district leadership at the site level – make connections and ensure alignment.
- Send clear, concise, and prompt communications for all engagements that you directly manage, as required by Pivot/CORE and the district. During engagements, answer questions and gather information, as items arise. Escalate questions or share information with Pivot/CORE.
- Contribute to the creation of the cutting-edge tools, materials and programs that will keep Pivot on the forefront of education technical assistance across the nation.
- Support the development of the Pivot/CORE service model, as needed.
We are looking for consultants who are committed to adult learning for other and themselves, who are skilled at cultivating and fostering strong relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds, and who understand and can successfully tackle the technical and adaptive challenges that come with facilitating this type of work.
- Have at least 3-5 years of MATH teaching experience, and at least 1-2 years of experience coaching, consulting, or similar role supporting educator pedagogy, math knowledge, and instructional material knowledge across sites.
- Strong Math Pedagogy Content Knowledge.
- Preference for knowledge of Math High Quality Instructional Materials, specifically Ready Math by Curriculum Associates and/or OpenUp Math.
- Demonstrate strong familiarity with and understanding of the National State Standards or similarly aligned state standards.
- Successful past experience facilitating learning for adults, including knowing how to “read the room” and customize delivery to continue to meet the goals of the work, while also meeting participant needs, including making-in-the-moment decisions.
Commitment to Equity
- A commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Pivot/CORE.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Knowledge of equitable instructional strategies.
- Capacity to collect and manage data, including inputting data into surveys, Google forms, and similar online tools.
- Ability to analyze program data, including identifying patterns, strengths and areas of need and capacity to make necessary recommendations, that are also aligned to district and site goals.
- Capacity to develop polished and comprehensive reports that capture data and analysis and submit reports electronically.
- Possess strong, professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong time management/organization skills and the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technology tools (e.g., email, calendaring, Zoom, Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, etc.)
- Facilitating set-up and clean-up of rooms for trainings and site support, including moving tables and chairs, carrying materials, setting up and leveraging technology. Must have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Knowledge of multiple high-quality instructional materials
- Experience with user-centered design and/or continuous improvement processes preferred.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in educational leadership, instruction, subject matter, etc.
- Preference for candidates who live in California or North Carolina and can commit to the duration of this three-year project.
Compensation and Benefits
Education Services Consultants are compensated on a per diem basis.