About the Position
At Pivot and CORE, we look for talented and inspiring colleagues who believe in public education and the imperative to support schools to innovate and improve. We are currently seeking part-time Literacy Consultants to work with our Pivot Project Manager (PM) to deliver site-based services with Boston Public Schools. This effort is part of a multi-year plan by the district to deliver high quality equitable literacy instruction to all students through the use of aligned high quality materials.
The literacy consultants will provide site-based support services that include:
- observations of curriculum implementation with a focus on quality of instruction
- instructional rounds to improve practice
- review of data
- focus on a school site problem of practice
- ongoing school-site planning
The literacy consultants may also provide coaching for specific educators. Coaching responsibilities include review of classroom data, identification of classroom problems of practice, and execution of specific coaching strategies such as modeling, co-teaching, and lesson planning with individual teachers.
The literacy consultants will work with site leaders, instructional coaches, teacher leaders, and teachers through this work.
This is a part-time, remote opportunity with travel to the district for in-person service delivery. You must be able to travel regularly (possibly weekly) to district and school sites in Boston for this project, with the potential for this work to expand to other schools in Boston and/or new districts over time. East Coast candidates strongly preferred.
This work involves preparation, delivery and debrief of professional learning days. The time commitment for January 2022 – June 2022 includes:
- Approximately ~15 days of participating in in-person professional learning
- ~24 hours of leading in-person and/or virtual professional learning sessions
- ~20 hours of attending virtual internal meetings
Site-Level Service Delivery:
- Lead site-based services to ensure effective instruction and implementation of curriculum. Continue building site staff’s pedagogical knowledge and knowledge of specific instructional materials. Deliver all components of our site support model, using Pivot/CORE provided protocols and templates.
- Schedule services (e.g., walkthroughs, program planning, instructional rounds, side-by-side coaching) with staff at assigned sites. Work with the PM to ensure scheduling aligns to district and school needs.
- Prepare for, facilitate, and follow up on professional learning events, including small group and 1:1 work sessions with clients and partners (virtual or in‐person).
Data and Continuous Improvement:
- Support schools to set data-driven goals and action plans for each school year aligned to evidenced-based practices.
- Collect, manage, and analyze data through the set cycles of continuous improvement with each site. After each continuous improvement cycle, make recommendations for adjustments to site implementation (e.g., additional training, and support, intensified focus on instructional practice, etc.)
- After each training and/or site engagement, collect, organize and send feedback and/or assessment data electronically to Pivot/CORE. This includes writing and electronically sending periodic comprehensive reports aligned to Pivot/CORE standards.
- Participate in all required Pivot/CORE training, regular one-on-one check-ins, and team meetings. Participate in required trainings provided through our partners.
- Act as an ambassador for Pivot/CORE at the district and site level – make connections and ensure program alignment.
- Send clear, concise, and prompt communications before and after all engagements that you directly manage, as required by Pivot/CORE and the district. During engagements, answer questions and gather information. Share information with Pivot/CORE and escalate issues as needed.
- Inform our service model, including tools, processes, etc. that will keep Pivot at the forefront of education technical assistance across the nation.
We are looking for consultants who are committed to adult learning for others and themselves, who are skilled at cultivating and fostering strong relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds, and who understand and can successfully tackle the technical and adaptive challenges that come with facilitating this type of coaching.
- Have at least 3-5 years of literacy teaching experience and at least 2 years of experience coaching, consulting, or in a similar role supporting educator pedagogy, literacy content knowledge, and instructional material knowledge across sites.
- Strong Literacy Pedagogy Content Knowledge.
- Knowledge of at least one set of Literacy High-Quality Instructional Materials (e.g. StudySync).
- Demonstrate strong familiarity with and understanding of the Common Core State Standards or similarly aligned state standards.
- Successful experience facilitating learning for adults, including knowing how to “read the room” and make in-the-moment decisions, to customize delivery and continue to meet the goals of the work while also meeting participant needs..
Commitment to Equity
- A commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Pivot/CORE.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Knowledge of equitable instructional strategies.
- Capacity to collect and manage data, including inputting data into surveys, Google forms, and similar online tools.
- Ability to analyze program data, including identifying patterns, strengths, and areas of need, along with the capacity to make necessary recommendations that are also aligned to district and site goals.
- Capacity to write polished and comprehensive reports that accurately capture and reflect on, data analysis.
- Possess strong, professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong time management/organization skills and the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technology tools (e.g., email, calendaring, Zoom, Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, etc.).
- Facilitate set-up and clean-up of rooms for trainings and site support, including moving tables and chairs, carrying materials, and managing technology. Must have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Valid educator’s license, endorsement and/or certification.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in educational leadership, instruction, subject matter, etc.
- Preference for candidates who live on the East Coast and can easily travel regularly to Boston.
Literacy Consultants are compensated on an hourly basis for all work and travel time.